A power outage lasting longer than 3 minutes will begin to create adverse conditions that can not be recovered from without the attention of Accelerator staff and will take a minimum of 4 hours before operations can resume. Be Aware: A power failure, even a brief one, will shut down the accelerator, sources, and gate valves. Computers and alarms in the control room, and some lights, will continue to function on emergency power from the generator on the roof if it starts properly. You can tell if the power has come back on by the presence of the normal overhead lights.
The Operator should take the following actions after power is restored:
1) Silence any alarms that have activated, E1/E2, shutdown module, tritium monitor.
2) Note how long the power was out.
3) Notify Accelerator Staff of the situation
4) Check the cooling water loop pumps. The controls are located at the entry to the source area. (Ground the high voltage cage). If the green lights are still on no action is required. If the green lights are off push each start button.
5) The source cooling water must also be re-activated. This control is on the side of the cabinet that is against the wall by the sputter source. You may need to hold the “on” switch for several seconds before the pump will remain on.
6) Check the status of the vault cryopump compressors. There is one next to the LE and HE pumping stations. If they are running, turn them off. Yellow breaker on the rear of the LE compressor. If your beam line has any manual pump gates valves, close them, and shut down your cryopumps if applicable.
7) No action is required in the upstairs mechanical room. HVAC systems should return to normal within 5 minutes of power restoration.
8) If the accelerator was running when the power went out, set all of its controls to the initial “off” settings.
9) Check the status of the magnets. Each magnet control module should be showing a red light for standby or off condition. Magnet current meters need to be showing zero amps. To restore to the console control_power (cups, steerers, chain drive etc.) you will have to go to the blue chain drive control box in the vault and press the “start” button.
10) On the control computer, go to the Restart tab and select “restart all”