Possible Nuclear Lunch Topics
This list will serve as a record of possible nuclear lunch topics which have
been suggested but not chosen.
Eventually, this could grow into a list of both non-chosen and chosen topics,
with links to the archives of the terms in which a topic was discussed.
The schedule for the current term is located
Possible future topics
- "Investigation of the 240P(n,g) reaction at the n_TOF/EAR2 facility in the 9meV-6MeV range", Stamatopoulos et al., Phys. Rev. C 102, 014616 (2020). [Fall 2020]
- "Black dwarf supernova in the far future", Caplan et al., Month. Not. R. Soc. 497, 4357 (2020). [Fall 2020]
- "Improved constraints on sterile neutrino mixing from disappearance searches in the MINOS, MINOS+, Daya Bay, and Bugey-3 experiments", Adamson et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 125, 071801 (2020). [Fall 2020]
- "Identification of the new isotope 244Md", Pore et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 124, 25202 (2020). [Fall 2020]
- "Dynamical evidence for a fifth force explanation of the ATOMKI nuclear anomalies", Feng et al., Phys. Rev. D 102, 036016 (2020). [Fall 2020]
- "Precision microwave spectroscopy of the positronium n=2 fine strucutre", Gurung et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 125, 073002 (2020). [Fall 2020]
- "Laser resonance chromatography of superheavy elements", Laatiaoui et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 125, 023002 (2020). [Fall 2020]
- "Evidence for quark-matter cores in massive neutron stars", Annala et al., Nat. Phys. Lett. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41567-020-0914-9 (2020). [Fall 2020]
- "Probing the core of the strong interaction", Schmidt et al., Nat. 578, 540 (2020). [Fall 2020]
- "Longitudinal wobbling motion in 187Au", Sensharma et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 124, 052501 (2020). [Fall 2020]
- "Axiogenesis", Co and Harigaya, Phys. Rev. Lett. 124, 111602 (2020). [Fall 2020]
- "Indirect measurements of the 3He(n,p)3H reaction cross section at Big Bang energies", Pizzone et al., Euro. Phys. J. A 56, 199 (2020). [Fall 2020]
- "Evidence for the first excited state of 7H", Bezbakh et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 124, 022502 (2020). [Fall 2020]
- Multiple Shape Coexistence in 110,112Cd,
P.E. Garrett et al.,
Phys. Rev. Lett. 123, 142502 (2019).
Suggested January 2020. and Fall 2020.
- The Sun at TeV energies: gammas, neutrons, neutrinos and a cosmic ray shadow,
Miguel Gutierrez, Manuel Masip, arXiv:1911.07530 (2019).
Suggested January 2020.
- Asymmetric fission around lead: The case of 198Po,
Shilpi Gupta et al.,
Phys. Rev. C 100, 064608 (2019).
Suggested January 2020.
Sensitivity of Seismically Cued Antineutrino Detectors to Nuclear
Rachel Carr, Ferenc Dalnoki-Veress, and Adam Bernstein,
Phys. Rev. Applied 10, 024014 (2018). Suggested August 2018.
Verification of Spent Nuclear Fuel in Sealed Dry Storage Casks via
Measurements of Cosmic-Ray Muon Scattering,
J. M. Durham et al., Phys. Rev. Applied 9, 044013 (2018).
Suggested August 2018.
Creating small circular, elliptical, and triangular droplets of quark-gluon
C. Aidala et al. (PHENIX Collaboration),
arXiv:1805.02973v2, submitted to Nature. Suggested August 2018.
Observation of Higgs boson decay to bottom quarks,
The CMS Collaboration,
arXiv:1808.08242v1, submitted to Phys. Rev. Lett. Suggested August 2018.
Hard exclusive pion electroproduction at backward angles with CLAS,
K. Park et al., Physics Letters B 780, 340-345 (2018).
Suggested August 2018.
- Structure of 78Ni from First-Principles Computations, G. Hagen et al., PRL 117, 172501 (2016)
- Investigation of the 10Li shell inversion, M. Cavallero et al. PRL 118, 012701 (2017)
- "Parking-garage" structures from nuclear pasta, D.K. Berry et al., PRC 94, 055801 (2016)
- 19Ne(p,g) reaction rate, including onto excited state, J. Belarge et al., PRL 117, 182701 (2016)
- Precision measurment of radiative β-decay of the free neutron, M.J. Bales et al., PRL 116, 242501 (2016)
- Search for ν-less double-β-decay with NEMO-3, R. Arnold et al., PRD 94, 072003 (2016)
- New method to image using γ-rays and MRI, Y. Zheng et al., Nature 537, 652 (2016)
- The 2015 Lang Range Plan for Nuclear Science [24 Aug 2016]
- Study of 23Na(alpha,p) and 23Na(alpha,n), Avila et al., arXiv:1608.03292v1 [24 Aug 2016]
- Completing the nuclear reaction puzzle of the nucleosynthesis of 92Mo, PRC 94, 024804 (2016) [24 Aug 2016]
- Pentaquark Discovery Confirmed (LHC), PRL 117, 082002 & 082003 +synopsis [24 Aug 2016]
- Heavy-flavor e-muon correlations in p+p and d+Au @ 200 GeV, PRC 89, 034915 (2014) [24 Aug 2016]
- Proton Radius from Electron Scattering Data, PRC 93, 055207 (2016) [24 Aug 2016]
- Beyond Mean Field Theories with Nuclear Density Functions, arXiv:1606.00407v1 [24 Aug 2016]
- Nonexistence of Large Nuclei in the Liquid Drop Model, Lett. Math. Phys. 106, 1033 (2016) [24 Aug 2016]
- Parity Violation in Heavy Ion Collisions (Suggested Again in Fall '14)
- Looking for parity violation in heavy-ion collisions (http://physics.aps.org/viewpoint-for/10.1103/PhysRevLett.103.251601 (Suggested in 2011?)
- Dibaryons/Tetraquarks at the LHC (Suggested Fall '14)
- Low Energy Nuclear Shape Evolution (Suggested Fall '14)
Capture / Pseudoscalar Coupling (8 Jan 2013)
- Muon-antineutrino disappearence (physics.aps.org/viewpoint-for/10.1103/PhysRevLett.107.021801) (electron-nu disappearance was covered in Fall 2012 Daya Bay paper)
- Supersymmetry (Viewpoint: Still Waiting for Supersymmetry result from CMS at LHC. (topic added on 11-2012)
- mu->e gamma (e.g. http://arxiv.org/abs/1107.5547)
- Bottom baryons (e.g. http://prl.aps.org/abstract/PRL/v107/i10/e102001)
- "Mass Measurements of Very Neutron-Deficient Mo and Tc Isotopes and Their Impact on rp Process Nucleosynthesis"
- "New equation of state for astrophysical simulations" (http://prc.aps.org/abstract/PRC/v83/i3/e035802) ("Structure of Matter below Nuclear Saturation Density" covered in Fall 2013)
- Atomic parity violation (http://physics.aps.org/viewpoint-for/10.1103/PhysRevLett.103.071601)
- Electron capture in unstable nuclei
- Isospin symmetry breaking in superallowed beta decay
- Rotations of the Hoyle State in Carbon-12
Last updated 24 August 2016 by Carl Brune.